Hiking in and around the Moosehead Lake Region
The Moosehead Lake Region offers some of the best day and overnight hiking in the northeast. Our area is full of spectacular hikes, from casual day hikes to serious backpack excursions! There’s something for every hiker, and the whole family, here. Whatever your ability, the majestic views, and variety of choice will thrill those who love exploring the mesmerizing Maine woods on foot!
Our region is also host to a portion of the Appalachian Trail’s 100 Mile Wilderness. Whether you’re just starting your journey or completing a through-hike, you’re sure to enjoy this historic trail. For more information, stop by the Appalachian Trail Visitor’s Center in Monson.
Popular Hikes in the Moosehead Lake Region
- Mt. Kineo features a historic fire tower that provides a 360-degree view of the Moosehead Lake Region.
- The loop on Little Moose Mountain takes you by a couple of ponds that provide nice places for kids to swim along the way.
- A hike that the entire family can enjoy is Moxie Falls. It is an easy .9 mile walk that features a 90+ ft. waterfall!
- Big Moose Mountain still has the old fire warden cabin where you can stop and snap a picture of Moosehead history.
- For those that are up for a full day of hiking and adventure, Gulf Hagas has just under 9 miles of hiking trails with 4 waterfalls along the way.