Destination Moosehead Lake and
Moosehead Lake Regional Economic Development Corporation
JOINT EXECUTIVE DIRECTOR JOB DESCRIPTION
The Moosehead Lake Region Economic Development Corporation (MLREDC) and Destination Moosehead Lake (DML) have formed a strategic alliance to combine resources and collaborate on the contracting of an Executive Director in order to foster the growth and development of both organizations, while carefully maintaining the separate missions and identities of each organization.
- Organizational Management and Leadership
- Responsible for leading the organization in a manner that supports and guides each organization’s mission and vision as defined by the Board of Directors and as fulfilled through strategic planning, programs, and community outreach.
- Maintain and develop systems, and effective use of resources to achieve goals and objectives.
- Actively engages and energizes board members, staff, committees, volunteers, partnering organizations, funders, and former board and committee members.
- Collaborates with industry organizations to create synergy for delivering programs to new and existing businesses.
- Project and Program Management
- Develops detailed project and program plans and documentation to monitor, escalate issues to the Board as necessary, track progress, and measure success using available best practices and technical tools.
- Evaluates resource availability and allocation for successful projects and programs.
- Meets budgetary objectives and makes adjustments to project or program constraints based on financial analysis, and schedule and cost changes.
- Regularly evaluates program components, to measure success and communicate to the Boards, funders and other constituents.
- Provides technical assistance to support businesses growth.
- Provides business site selection assistance for MLREDC clients for new development.
- Promotes and processes Allen Family Growth fund revolving loan applications.
- Oversees and manages the lease of Greenville Business Center.
- Financial Performance and Viability
- Develops and implements fundraising strategies that enable the organizations to meet their financial goals and carry out their programs and operations that support their missions for long-term financial stability and sustainability.
- Oversees the financial management of the DML in collaboration with Treasurer, bookkeeper and accountants, to include submission to the Board a proposed annual budget and monthly financial statements, which accurately reflect the financial condition of the organization.
- Assists the Treasurer and financial consultant on MLREDC financial matters.
- Assists in targeting funders and developing grant proposals and follow-up reporting.
- Communications, Public Relations, and Marketing
- Maximizes all communications platforms including social media, website, press releases, collateral materials, and advertising to create a strong Moosehead Lake brand.
- Maintains knowledge of economic and community development, tourism and marketing developments and trends.
- Oversees the development and execution of collateral materials, messaging and brand adherence on all media platforms using agreed upon marketing strategies, goals and objectives while tracking results using approved key performance indicators.
- Serves as a central point of contact for businesses, developers, and economic development and tourism partners in order to promote efforts and projects for the Moosehead Lake area and acts as the primary spokesperson in concert with Board Chairs as appropriate for both organizations.
- Responsible for the enhancement of the organizations’ image by being active and visible in the community and by working closely with other professional, civic and private organizations to build relationships and garner new opportunities.
- Develops and implements a product development program for DML.
- Board Relations and Management
- Responsible for communicating effectively with each Board, and all committees, and provides in a timely and accurate manner all information necessary for the Board to function properly, make informed decisions, carry out their roles, and conduct meetings.
- Builds DML board involvement through strategic direction within the context of regional and statewide tourism collaboration.
- General Administration
- Executes Board policies and oversees and attends Board and committee meetings as an ex-officio member as time allows and provides support as necessary.
- Maintains official records and documents and ensures compliance with federal, state and local regulations.
- Builds and maintains a culture that attracts, keeps and motivates and recognizes a diverse staff and volunteer group committed to the mission.
- Responsible for all staff job descriptions and keeps them current, for hiring, training, directing, evaluating, coaching and motivating a qualified and professional staff; and when necessary dismiss staff.
- Ensures volunteers are engaged and recognized for their work.
- Other duties as assigned by the Boards of Directors.
Daily interactions with staff, Boards of Directors, committee members, area businesses, owners, visitors, vendors, contractors, prospective new business owners, and volunteers.
DESIRED QUALIFICATIONS, LICENSING AND CERTICATIONS
- Bachelor’s degree or equivalent is required, related field is beneficial.
- Training or certifications in economic development, sales and marketing management, event management, tourism/hospitality and/or non-profit management beneficial.
- At least three to-five (3-5) years of business management experience; maintaining and managing stakeholder relationships. Volunteer experience will be considered.
- Appropriate, valid, state-issued driver’s license, or ability to obtain upon hire, is required.
- Industry specific certifications beneficial.
- Ability to work independently and as part of a team.
- Communication – Communicates well both verbally and in writing, creates accurate and punctual reports, delivers presentations, shares information and ideas with others, has good listening skills.
- Decision Making/Judgment – Recognizes problems and responds, systematically gathers information, sorts through complex issues, seeks input from others, addresses root cause of issues, makes timely decisions, can make difficult decisions, uses consensus when possible, and communicates decisions to others.
- Initiative – Identifies problems and takes independent action, seeks out new responsibilities, acts on opportunities, generates new ideas, practices self-development.
- Job Knowledge – Understands duties and responsibilities, has necessary job knowledge, has necessary technical skills, understands company mission/values, keeps job knowledge current, and understands critical issues.
- Listening Skills – Listens attentively to others, asks clarifying questions, actively listens, stays open to other viewpoints, manages distractions and interruptions.
- Problem Solving/Analysis – Breaks down problems into smaller components, understands underlying issues, can simplify and process complex issues, understands the difference between critical details and unimportant facts.
- Results Focus – Targets and achieves results, sets challenging goals, prioritizes tasks, overcomes obstacles, accepts accountability, sets team standards and responsibilities, provides leadership/motivation.
- Sales and Marketing Skills – Has experience and/or training in the principles, processes, methods, and practices involved in showing, promoting, and selling services, locations, and memberships.
- Strategic Planning Skills – Understands the fundamentals and values of strategic planning.
- 40 hours per week.
- Requires some weekends, holidays and occasional evenings.
- Requires some travel for professional events, business engagements, meetings with prior approval from Executive Committees.
- Requires use of personal car to perform some job duties throughout the Moosehead Lake Area, specifically in making business connections, and to maintain outreach.
- Necessary travel expenses will be reimbursed upon presentation of expense form.
SALARY RANGE: $40-42,000 yearly salary depending upon experience.
REPORTS TO: Boards of Directors
APPLICATION: Send cover letter and resume to DMLEDCDirector@gmail.com