In 1910, a small group of citizens established the first library in Greenville. The group spearheaded a move to gather books, raise funds and set up a board of trustees. The first library was located in the village post office in the center of town. In 1913, at the annual town meeting, the Town of Greenville approved takeover of the existing library, controlled by the Union League, to the town of Greenville as a free public library. The citizens voted to elect a committee of 5 to act as trustees. The library was known as the Greenville Free Public Library. The first book budget was for $30.00. In 1916, the library was moved from a rent free room in the H.W. Shaw Manufacturing Building to the large corner room of the second floor of the Shaw Block for rent of $5.00 a month. The new book budget increased to $90.00. In 1925, Charles D. Shaw, a prominent and successful local businessman, deeded the current building on the corner of Lily Bay Rd. and Pleasant St. to the town to be used as a library and historical building.
Key Words: library, books