Skiing, Snowboarding, and Snowshoeing in the Moosehead Lake Region
Downhill Alpine Skiing
Come “Ski the View!” Big Moose Mountain is located in the heart of the Moosehead Lake Region with 23 groomed trails, 2 lifts, and a ski lodge, all operated by the non-profit group The Friends of the Mountain.
Big Moose Mountain is unequivocally the most affordable ski area for families. Every Sunday you’ll find live music in the lodge through the end of March. Come join the locals and experience one of the most beautiful views in the state!
Cross Country Skiing
Visitors will find numerous opportunities for cross-country skiing while visiting the Moosehead Lake Region.
- The Natural Resource Education Center offers family-friendly trails at the Moosehead Lake Visitors’ Center at 480 Moosehead Lake Rd., Greenville
- Lily Bay State Park hosts family-friendly cross-country skiing opportunities
- Big Moose Mountain features 10 miles of cross-country trails in addition to their downhill alpine skiing
- The Appalachian Mountain Club boasts 90 miles of groomed both tracked and untracked backcountry skiing
- The Birches cross-country skiing trails include varied terrain for all levels of experience and ski-in lodging is available at their yurt huts
For the more adventurous cross-country skiers, there are hundreds of miles of ungroomed logging roads waiting to be explored.
Snowshoeing in the Moosehead Lake Region
While the Moosehead Lake area is a major destination for snowmobiling during the winter months, it’s also a great place to strap on snowshoes for easy, moderate and challenging winter hiking trails to explore.
If you are new to snowshoeing, there are Registered Maine Guides who can introduce you to this winter nature walk for an informative and interactive experience in the Maine woods.
Interested in getting out on your own? Great! It’s as easy as putting one foot in front of the other! Granted you will have platforms strapped to your feet, but you’ll enjoy the adventure walking over the snow-covered landscape! Snowshoeing is a wonderful activity for the entire family to enjoy!
There are a number of different winter snowshoe trails available for you and your family to explore in the Moosehead Lake area:
- Right behind the Moosehead Lake Visitor Center on Route 15!
- Lily Bay State Park
- Squaw Mountain snowshoe and ski trails
- The Birches in Rockwood
- Appalachian Mountain Club Maine Wilderness Lodges
- Or get involved with the Moosehead Pinnacle Pursuit hiking challenge! All of our mountains are available to access year-round, so strap on those snowshoes and get out and explore.
PLEASE REMEMBER: Please practice Leave No Trace Principles when exploring the wilderness. Take only pictures and leave only footprints!
Check out these businesses
while exploring the area
Partner with Destination Moosehead Lake!
Contact us here to learn how you can add your listing to the website and stay up to date with the latest opportunities in the region!